Things To Do
Things To Do
Bellaire offers a theater, shopping, a variety of dining experiences, parks, beaches, trails, numerous golf courses, and area great festivals.
There was a time when winter in the north saw many small communities “close shop” until the spring thaw. Not today. Wintertime in Antrim County finds a bee hive of activity. Nature is bountiful with natural snow, and snow machines to supplement nature to offer winter sports from late November through March. The outdoor lovers who do not ski/board is probably a snowmobile enthusiast and they will find trails galore , for those who do not enjoy these two popular winter past time we suggest Ice skating on the man-made rinks or the natural expanse of lakes or take a snow-shoe trip at Glacial Hills. Ice fishing in a shanty or with a tip-up is another popular sport, fishing either with hook and line or with a spear. Most shops, restaurants and entertainment spots remain open all winter long.
Oh how exciting it is when the snow begins to melt, the days have more than 6 hours of daylight, the temperatures are becoming pleasant and the crocuses’ are blooming – it is a sure sign that SPRING IS HERE! A beautiful time to be alive – especially so in Antrim County. The awakening of nature is fascinating to watch and there are plenty of things for the active visitor to do; the smelt and early perch runs entice the fisherman and he can look forward to the opening of the trout season. Mushrooming is fun – and so is bird (or deer) watching. Visit a sugar bush or hunt for Petoskey stones. The spring countryside is at its beautiful best. Snap some pictures of the cherry orchards in bloom. It’s a breathtaking sight. The golf courses open early for the hardy souls, the air is delightful, and the spring fishing is all together exciting. A spring canoe/kayak trip down the winding Grass River is certain to exhilarate the nature lover! Newly born fawns still in their spots are especially easy to see when you are floating quietly down the scenic River. Let us sum it up – Spring is when the great north country comes alive with a Rush!
- Skip stones on one of the many beautiful lakes
- Smelt Dipping, Fishing (be sure to get your license), Hunting,
- Morel Mushroom hunting
- Hiking through the trails enjoying the wildflowers that are blooming, bird watching, enjoying the wonderful smell of Spring!
- Spring flowers are bursting forth, Grass is turning Green, Trees Bloom – it is BLOSSOM TIME !
- Maple Syrup is starting to run
- Everything is coming alive!!!
“Picture this: 16 hours and 51 minutes of visible daylight. On the summer solstice-the longest day of the year – that’s how much the sun shines in Bellaire. With the sun rising at 5:54 am. And setting after 10p.m. how many things could you do in northern Michigan in one day? Get started with our list of possibilities!” – Chris Hale, VP Sales & Marketing , Shanty Creek Resorts
- Kayak or boat the Chain-O-Lakes
- Bike all 32 miles of singletrack trails at the Glacial Hills Pathway
- Live Music at the Gazebo
- Pack a lunch, grab the kids and hike the trails at Grass River Natural Area
- Farmers Market and Senior Sale on Friday mornings
- Choose to golf at over 7 golf courses in the area.
- Relax at the Beach with a great book or waterski, rent a pontoon for fun in the sun.
- Fly Fishing on the Cedar River or Jordan River
- Splash on the sandbar at Torch Lake, cast a few lines on Lake Skegemog
- Get ice cream cones for everyone at Ruthie’s Dairy Twist in Bellaire
- Shop for local treasures in Alden, Bellaire, Central Lake, Mancelona
- Search for Petoskey Stones along the shores of Lake Michigan at Barnes Park
- Two words: Mammoth Distilling
- Choose a red or white from Torch Lake Cellars
- Canoe the Grass River
- Satisfy your fudge cravings at Fudgee’s
- Take in a “Cherry Spitters” ballgame in Traverse City
- Explore the possibilities of craft beer at Short’s Brewpub in Bellaire
- Sittin’ on the dock of Torch Lake. Grab a basket of sweet potato fries or fish tacos at The Dockside
Fall is the most beautiful of all seasons. Crisp fall evenings turn the entire countryside into a brilliant blaze of color. Take a color tour through the highland by car or boat through the Chain of Lakes. See an indescribable panorama of beauty. Scenic country roads such as 593, 618, 620 and 626, Michigan Highways M-66 and M-88 wander through the most beautiful countryside imaginable. The view from Dead Man’s Hill is a must in the fall It overlooks thousands of acres at the source of the Jordan River, a view worth driving miles to see. In the fall the perch and the bass are waiting for the fisherman. Nearby Grand Traverse Bay and Lake Michigan offer fall fishing for Steelheads, Lake Trout, Coho and Chinook Salmon that you will find hard to equal, the golf courses are open until the snow flies. For the hunter, small game upland birds and the archery deer season start it off. In November, the white tail deer season opens, and the herd in Antrim is plentiful. An autumn vacation is a delight to the eye in the North. You will want to take a lot of pictures on your color-tour.
- Meander the well-marked trail system of Glacial Hills (2795 Eckhardt Rd) for a workout that’s both worthwhile and beautifully inspired.
- For families with little tykes or non-hikers head over to Grass River Natural Area (6500 Alden Hwy) and traverse the lowlands of Antrim Count while tracing the shoreline trails of Grass River
- Hunting, Color Tours, Rock Hunting, Exploring, Picture taking,
- Catch a Movie at Bellaire Theatre
- Visit a Northern Michigan Brewery – Short’s Brew Pub, Bellaire – Short’s Brewing Company Elk Rapids
- Kayak or Canoe the Grass River
- Rent a Bike, Buy a Bike, Fix your Bike – Paddle & Pedals Bellaire
- Shopping a great way to start your holiday shopping at all of our unique shops in our area
- King Orchards has Fresh Apples, Cider and Donuts – You can also pick your own Apples
- Catch a Sunset while enjoying a meal at the Dockside on Torch Lake
- Enjoy a Chair Lift Ride at Shanty Creek
- Sweet Tooth? Whether you crave cookies, ice cream, or pastries, Bellaire has something for everyone
- Horseback Riding
- Visit the Farmers Market on Friday’s in Bellaire
- Pamper yourself at one of our area spas
- Spend time walking the beaches in search of Petoskey Stone
- Golf – over 7 courses to choose from
Find out more about Paddle Antrim Bellaire, MI – Paddle Antrim is pleased to announce the Chain of Lakes Water Trail is the first designated
Join us for Tea and Tasty treats! This traditional High Tea is inspired by Anna, the Duchess of Bedford! Enjoy a three tiered service of